Addison Montgomery/Kate Walsh Appreciation Thread

« Older   Newer »

1. *Helly*

User deleted

UN ARTICOLO DAL WEB SU KATE:

NY Times article of Kate Walsh
    Trading Up From Ikea
    Jamie Rector for The New York Times

Kate Walsh of “Grey’s Anatomy,” second from left, with Corinne Kingsbury-Donovan, far left; Sara Morris, in red; Jamie Denbo, in aqua; and Sally Brooks, at Cut, the new Wolfgang Puck restaurant in Beverly Hills.
    By DAVID HOCHMAN
    Published: September 24, 2006

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.

HERE’S the thing about network television money: It changes everything.

Take cats. When Kate Walsh, who plays Dr. Addison Shepherd on ABC’s popular drama “Grey’s Anatomy,” arrived for dinner with her closest girlfriends recently at Cut, Wolfgang Puck’s new Beverly Hills steakhouse, she was still punchy from having just put vinyl nail caps on her kitties’ claws.

“The problem is,” Ms. Walsh said, somewhat sheepishly, “I just moved to a new house and bought furniture I actually care about.”

“Kate bought a second-season table,” deadpanned Cynthia True, a television writer who has known Ms. Walsh since her Ikea days.

“You laugh,” Ms. Walsh continued, “but I didn’t want it scratched up. So my assistant held down the cats while I put the tips on.”

“Your assistant?” Sally Brooks, a voice-over actress, said with mock disapproval.

Before Ms. Walsh could defend herself, Mr. Puck himself appeared at the table to welcome them and pay special respects to TV’s hottest neonatal ob-gyn. Ms. Walsh, who was originally signed to just five episodes of “Grey’s Anatomy,” made herself indispensable after delivering the line of Season 1 (Gently paraphrased: And you must be the woman who’s been sleeping with my husband) to the program’s namesake character, Dr. Meredith Grey, played by Ellen Pompeo. The show’s third season began on Thursday.

Ms. Walsh, 38, comes from the comedy world; she wore a fat suit to play one of Drew Carey’s girlfriends on “The Drew Carey Show.” But she finds she can actually get richer laughs in her current drama. She said, “As a woman in sitcoms, you’re either a drunken whore or a mothering appendage,” neither of which characterizes Ms. Walsh, despite the four bottles of wine on the table, her friends said.

“Kate is wickedly funny, but also really grounded and independent,” said Jamie Denbo, an actress, who said she’s known Ms. Walsh through “all her hair colors.” (Currently a redhead, Ms. Walsh said she’s naturally “a medium-to-light mouse.”) Ms. Denbo added, “And now that she’s famous, she can get us free stuff.”

The perks of stardom still feel new to Ms. Walsh, who said she “grew up scrappy,” the youngest of five siblings, in San Jose and Tucson. When she set off for Hollywood, in her mid-20’s, her mother’s only advice was, “Honey, don’t do those kinds of movies.”

As if to demonstrate how far she has come, seven waiters arrived to lay down plates of chops and $120 Kobe steaks. The subject turned to Ms. Walsh’s new car, and a slight blush, perhaps from the cabernet, came across her face. “Listen, I’ve only had practical cars, like station wagons, so stop it,” she said to theatrical moans. It turns out she bought a 1985 Aston Martin. A convertible. And red. “But guys, you know me,” she said. “I’m still the one at the Emmys with the Bevnap stuck to the bottom of my shoe.”

Ms. Walsh said she understood the ribbing. “Listen, I used to judge people,” she said, stabbing her pork chop. “ ‘I can’t believe so-and-so-suddenly-famous-person hasn’t called me back.’ But at some point, if you’re successful or lucky, you become incorporated. You become like a C.E.O. You have people working for you. You get a business name.”

And what, by chance, would Ms. Walsh’s new business be called?

“Kitty Likes to Scratch,” she said, and with that buried her head in her hands.

618 replies since 26/8/2006, 22:00   5168 views